AIARE Avalanche Course 1 (Sold Out)
Know before you go.
A 24-hour (3 or 4 day format) introduction to planning and preparing for travel in avalanche terrain. Topics covered include human factors, avalanche terrain recognition, "red flag" observations, communication and decision-making, terrain selection, travel techniques, departure checks & companion rescue skills. Lift ticket included for field sessions if needed.
- Pricing: $525 *Mammut demo gear included for course.
- Dates: December 16-18, 2022*(Sold Out); January 5-8*(Sold Out), January 23-25*, February 2-5*, February 15-17 (in-person), March 3-5 (in-person), March 21-23 (in-person), April 1-3*, 2023
- Times: 8 am - 5 pm.
- Location: Snowbird, Little Cottonwood Canyon and Big Cottonwood field locations, conditions dependent.
- Required Equipment: Touring backpack, transceiver, shovel & probe (Mammut demo included if needed). You will also need to have ski poles, skis or a splitboard with uphill capability and climbing skins cut and fitted for day 1.
- Prerequisites: Students must be able to travel in backcountry terrain, with an advanced-intermediate level of downhill skiing or snowboarding in off-piste conditions. If you are new to backcountry ski or snowboard gear, please consider taking a Backcountry 101 Course before your AIARE 1.
- Registration: 801.933.2096 or MountainGuides@Snowbird.com
*Hybrid courses are a mix of online classroom sessions and in person field days.