- Tickets & Passes
- The Cliff Spa
Backcountry Skiing 101
Learn from the pros.
Jan 21 2024
Master the kick turn and learn the basics of avalanche education during Snowbird Mountain Guide's Backcountry Skiing 101.
- Dates: Ski - December 23, January 21, February 17
Splitboard - January 20, February 10
- Skill Level: All participants should be advanced skiers in physical condition for high altitude exertion and must be able to hike with touring skis. This course is intended for the beginner backcountry traveler, but it is still necessary to have an advanced skiing or snowboarding ability in order to travel safely off-piste and outside of the resort.
- Time: 7:30 am. Meet outside The Forklift (Snowbird Center, Plaza Deck, Level 3).
- Required Equipment: Alpine touring skis or splitboard, climbing skins, transceiver, avalanche shovel, probe and backpack. Mammut transceiver, backpack, shovel and probe are included, but guests may also use their own gear if preferred. Touring skis and skins are available to rent at Snowbird.
- Pricing: $310/person, max group size of 6 students per instructor.
Learn to kick turn.