AIARE Avalanche Course 2
Know before you go.
The AIARE 2 is a 24-hour (4 day format) course that provides backcountry travelers an opportunity to advance their decision-making skills in more complex situations. Building on the AIARE Risk Management Framework introduced in the AIARE 1, the AIARE 2 prepares students for being leaders within a small travel group, traveling in more complicated terrain and/or developing a travel plan where resources are scarce.
Students will spend more time making their own snowpack interpretations through snowpit observations and tests, increasing their knowledge of snowpack processes and metamorphism & practicing group management through communication, teamwork and decision-making skills.
- Pricing: $575 *Mammut demo gear included for course.
- Dates: January 9 - 12.
- Monday & Tuesday: Evening zoom sessions.
- Wednesday & Thursday: Field sessions 8 am - 5 pm.
- Times: 8 am - 5 pm
- Location: Snowbird, Little Cottonwood Canyon and Big Cottonwood field locations, conditions dependent.
- Required Equipment: Touring backpack, transceiver, shovel & probe (Mammut demo included if needed). Snow study tools are strongly encouraged. This could include a crystal ID card, snow saw, hand lens/loop, snow thermometers, rutschblock cord, inclinometer and compass.
- Prerequisites: AIARE 1 and Avalanche Rescue Course
- Registration: 801.933.2096 or MountainGuides@Snowbird.com
9 - 12